top of page
Sheldon Water Tank
IMG_2502.JPEG
IMG_2500.JPEG
IMG_2509.JPEG
IMG_2492.JPEG
cropped old photo 2.png

Sheldon Water Tank restoration was funded by DEFRA through the 'Farming in Protected Landscapes' scheme and was completed in 2023.

The water tank was originally build in 1880, and was paid for by The Duke of Devonshire to bring a clean water supply to our remote upland village in The Peak District National Park. The large tank was filled via a series of pumps which brought water from 'the Pot Boil spring' next to the River Wye, some 600 feet below the village of Sheldon.

Prior to 1880, rainwater was collected from rooftops into meres, and water from the Pot Boil was hauled up the hill by hand or horse. During the time that the water tank was operational, there were numerous interruptions to water supply, mainly due to difficulties experienced in pumping such a great distance up hill. There were many days when those living further down the main street found that there was little water left for them to use. Although the water tank is part of Manor Farm, it was never high enough to provide water to The Manor. Instead, a lead-lined basement room formed a water tank to collect rain water which was manually pumped up to the kitchen.

The water tank became redundant in 1956 when a mains water supply was established. The metal tank has long been removed, capping stones had been lost, and the stonework had begun to crumble.

 

This piece of our village history has been lovingly restored by an expert team of stone masons under the watchful eye of The Peak District National Park Authority. We hope that this unique historic feature will last for many decades and maybe even centuries to come.  

In gratitude for the benefits that clean water brought to our remote little village in 1880, any interested groups who'd like to arrange a visit to Sheldon Water Tank are requested to consider a donation to Aquabox; a local charity who provide clean water kits to remote parts of the world today.

www.aquabox.org

 

bottom of page